Tuesday 19 June 2007

Jack's the lad to win the races!

No running for me today! It was Jack's turn for a change and he did us proud on his school Sport's Day. He finished 1st in both of his races - the bean bag relay and then the sprint.

I beamed with pride when he was presented with his medal by the head teacher.

I hope in future years that Jack takes up my mantle of running (and perhaps does a better job of it!). My memories of school sports days are, sadly, not happy ones. I remember finishing last or near to last in most events. Sport wasn't really my forte at school. In fact, it wasn't until I was 21 that I started to run regularly. Hopefully, with a lot of encouragement, it will be something that Jack can have a good go at.

It'll be good to have Jack supporting me for 3 weeks on the big run. He'll be seeing more of the United Kingdom in those 3 weeks than I've seen in 35 years. Add the fact that we will be staying in a tent on various places on the route and it should be quite an adventure for him.

I must say that I'm starting to get a wee bit nervous about the big run. I've started to think seriously about the mileage over the last few days. However, for some reason, seeing Jack run today has really inspired me and a little of the fear factor has gone. Whether he finished first or last mattered not. He really tried hard today and made me so proud. Now that's the attitude that's going to get me to Lands End. There's a lot to learn from this little 4 year old!