Tuesday 6 April 2010

Kite spotting on the 3rd 16 mile run of the week.

The route for today's 16 mile run was from Shotley Bridge to Rowlands Gill and back. Once again a conservative pace was on the cards given that I've got 7 lots of 16 miles to do this week. This, of course, was the third lot of 16 miles. 

I set off in near perfect conditions and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery in Derwentside this afternoon. The pair of Red Kites (an example of one is pictured) flying above the trees on the Derwent Walk were simply stunning to see in full flight.

The first 8 miles, which were mostly down hill took 01:22:00 to complete. The final 8 miles, which were mostly up hill, took 01:25:42 to complete.

I felt comfortable throughout the entire run, once again letting myself slip into the sensible pace that will give me every chance of completing week 74's training in 1 piece. Once or twice I had to hold back as I felt I was able to run slightly quicker. If there's anything I've learned over the last few months though, it is that speed is not going to get me successfully across the USA next year. Having said that, I was a good 16 minutes quicker than yesterday. I think the lack of wind today probably contributed to that.

I'll cross over the half way point in training week 74 tomorrow.  I'll be splitting the 16 mile runs into 2 x 8 mile sessions over the next 3 days. I may have another crack at running to the match on Saturday. I'll make my mind up on that one nearer the time.

For now, though, I'm on track to make this a successful week of training. 48 miles have been done so far in 3 days with 64 miles left to do over the next 4 days. 

I can't sign off tonight without thanking those folk who have bought Run Geordie Run T-Shirts this week. On behalf of St Benedict's Hospice (Charity No. 1019410) and The Children's Foundation (Charity No. 1000013) THANKS!!!!! The charity fund now stands at a very pleasing £7,575.20. For the record, £6,435.20 has already been paid directly to the charities. The remaining amount of £1,140 is in the form of traditional sponsorship which will be collected on successful completion of the run next year. Now there's an incentive to get to the end!