Saturday 11 August 2007

Day 36 - It's all set up for a grand finale.

After today's blistering finish on the A30 near Camborne I'm now 26 miles from the famous sign post at Lands End. I've never once doubted that I would be in this position and remain as focused as ever on achieving what many have thought was impossible.

The thing that amazes me most is the fact that after 847 miles I'm as fit and healthy as ever. And by this I mean that I'm injury and pain free. I'm actually now blister free! Work that one out! And I appear to have acquired a burst of pace when it's needed. Not to mention a bit of power when I need it on those cruel climbs. It's almost a shame that tomorrow is that last day!

I'm very keen to finish with another good performance tomorrow. I'll be wearing a black and white shirt all the way and I'll be so proud to reach the end in the team's colours.

And while I'm on the subject of the team, I must say that the news of the score at Bolton helped things along today a great deal. I hardly noticed the steep climbs when I was getting text messages through telling me the score. And to predict the right score was most unusual for me. I'll stick my neck out and say we'll beat Villa 2-0 next week. Perhaps, after the lap of honour next week, Big Sam will call me in at half time to motivate the lads! That lap of honour still hasn't sunk in, by the way. I've tried to push it to the back of my mind in order to avoid complacency and to remain focused. Once I've finished tomorrow I'll start to really think about it!

Thanks for the pledges today and the supportive messages. Will the fund get to £22,000 I wonder.

Anyway, I've had to drive 5 miles from the digs to get this mobile signal so that's all for today. I've got Match of the Day to get back to!

I'll leave the closing words to Rob Walker who sent me the following email:

"Hello mate,

Just a quick note to let you know that I've been telling everyone I know to log on to your blog and to donate and telling them all about this amazing amazing feat. I feel honoured to see someone like you running in a Newcastle shirt and know that you come from the same place as me; for showing the strength of mind, body and soul to do something like this you are more a hero than any other person who wears that shirt - regardless of wage or pricetag!!

Its a foregone conclusion as to whether you can do this, it was never in doubt. You're showing, and have shown true Geordie grit since Scotland and only hope I could ever have a morsel of that kind of dedication and strength!! Keep on going pal and enjoy every single second of that VICTORY when you cross the finishing line - you deserve it!!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Rob Walker"