Tuesday 20 February 2007

The threat of an injury cuts short a run home

I had planned to run 17 miles home tonight from Gosforth to Shotley Bridge. I only made it to the 13 mile point (Hamsterley Mill) when I felt some slight pain in my groin. With 4 miles left and energy levels very high I felt that I had nothing to gain or indeed prove by risking an injury and attempting to complete the course. So a quick phone call to Katy was made and she arrived within 10 minutes to take me the rest of the way home.

My previous attempt at this run (pictured to the right and a stone heavier than today!) was in June last year where I stopped off at the chippy and used my emergency pound for a bag of chips. This time round, though, I ate a couple of bananas to give me a boost.

I was due to have a rest day from running tomorrow and just do a gym session. However, I'm keen to see if I get any reaction to tonight's run and in particular I want to give my groin a bit of a test. So it'll be 11 miles along the Derwent Walk Path for me tomorrow after work.