Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Day 86 - A record breaker

What a day ladies and gents! What a day! The day actually kicked off at 5 am when Shelli drove the RV to pick new support man Carlton (pictured below saying "hiiyyyaaaa") up from the bus station in Columbus. Carlton had travelled for 24 hours on 2 planes and a bus. He looked very tired not only from the travelling but also  a close encounter with pepper spray in the bus station.

After just 1 hours extra sleep, I set off running towards Columbus with Carlton. He managed 10 miles before bailing out. He's actually got a few injuries so I appreciate even more all miles that he runs with me. Carlton is a very funny guy and the first 10 miles flew over with his banter.

I made it to Columbus just in time to talk to Gary and Lisa on the Real Radio Breakfast Show. This piece will be aired on Tuesday morning. I'll be talking to them again on Thursday for Friday morning's show. I'll be on the show 3 times next week and twice on the Legends. I'm very grateful to Real Radio for all of their coverage so far. It's been brilliant.

The miles were ticking by really quickly out of Columbus. The temperature didn't get above 88 degrees Fahrenheit which made for a quicker than usual pace. At the 18 mile point I noticed a huge black guy pushing his car to a nearby a petrol station. I crossed the busy road to help him out. The poor guy was almost passing out. At the back window were 2 vicious dogs who seemed to be very "unhappy" with me. We managed to get the car to it's final destination and I went on my way. Moments later one of the dogs, a pit bull, came racing after me. This little blighter was clearly after a bite of my ankles so I tried using my trusty finger pointing method. The dog forced me onto the busy road where I was almost hit by a car. I "politely" shouted at the dog to "go away" (my son reads this by the way!). It took no notice so I was forced to enter into the next lane of traffic. One of the drivers saw my predicament and put himself between me and the dog. The dog gave up at this point and my heart was racing. The kind stranger made sure I was ok before driving off. That was as close as I've come to a) getting knocked over and b) kicking a dog in the teeth.

I made use of my new found rush of adrenalin by getting to the 21 mile point at a very quick pace. There waiting for me was Mike Sumich, one of my followers on Twitter. He'd brought a couple of bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale for me. I'll be drinking those in New York. Thanks Mike. 

Mike joined me for 8 miles along highway 40 and it was nice to have his company.

Mile 29 onwards are a bit of a blur and somehow I picked up the pace even more. Carlton joined me again for a few miles and I'd asked Shelli to do mile 40 with me. As I approached her, I aksed her to start sprinting. It took me a few hundred yards to catch her. She was running flat out. This had the effect of me being able to increase my pace even further and I got to the 41.5 mile mark before finishing for the day. The time was just gone 2030. This was not only the furthest I've ever ran but also quicker than my previous best for 37 miles (a record set in 2009). 

The most pleasing thing about the finish was that I felt that I had many more miles in me. Quite a few more miles in fact. I'm certain that this record of 41.5 miles will be beaten before this run is finished. I really hope that it will be as pacy as today's too.

There was a tough start to life on the support team today. He managed to to run 16 miles with me, drive the RV and empty the RV waste (Pictured below. I forgot to tell him there were gloves available. Oops!). 

Thanks go to the KOA campsite at Buckeye Lake for putting us up for free tonight. It's a lovely place and once again I will be driving past a swimming pool in the morning, not having had the time to use it.

Thanks also go to those kind folk who made a donation today including Lisa Shaw, Steve Corrigan and David Nicholson who made some generous ones. The fund for St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation now stands very close to £45,000. The dream of raising £50,000 (and £100,000 since I started fundraising) is still alive.

If you would like to sponsor my run across the USA then donations can be made in a number of ways. www.justgiving.com have introduced a brilliant new free donation method. Did you know that you can now donate to the 2 charities using your mobile phone?

To donate an amount to St Benedict's Hospice, please text your desired amount and the following code RNGR98 to 70070:

To donate an amount to The Children's Foundation, please text your desired amount and the following code RNGR99 to 70070:

Donations can also be made direct to St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation using the following links to justgiving.com.

(St Benedict's Hospice)

(The Children's Foundation)

Finally, a donation can be made via cheque payable to 'The Children's Foundation' or 'St Benedict's Hospice' and sent to the following addresses:

FAO Libby Nolan
The Children's Foundation,
PO Box 2YB,
Sir James Spence Institute,
Victoria Wing,
Royal Victoria Infirmary,
Queen Victoria Road,
Newcastle upon Tyne.
NE99 2YB.

FAO Sylvia Stoneham
St Benedict's Hospice.
Monkwearmouth Hospital,
Newcastle Road,
SR5 1NB.