Sunday 9 January 2011

The route across the USA

The 2nd and final attempt at plotting the route across the USA is now complete. Much to my surprise, I have 23 fewer miles on this route compared to my first attempt (which is nice!). The route is 3029 miles long which gives me a couple of day's contingency and a margin for error. It will take 100 days to complete and promises to be the adventure of a lifetime.


There are so many places I'm looking forward to running through including The Mojave (pronounced MO-HAR-VEE) Deseret, Las Vegas, Berthoud Pass in the Rockies at 11,300 ft, The "Rocky Steps" at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Broadway in New York and many more besides. 

This is truly shaping up to be the challenge that I hoped it would be. It's a massive, massive distance and over 3 times the size of my last successful run from John O'Groats to Lands End in 2007. Throw into the mix, the fact that I will be away from my family for over 3 months and this promises to be as challenging emotionally as well as physically.

Hopefully, with a challenge of this magnitude and difficulty, the general public will back me, as they have done over the years. The two beneficiaries of this run are, of course, St Benedict's Hospice (Charity No. 1019410) and The Children's Foundation (Charity No. 1000013). It's a real personal honour to be in a position to raise funds for two amazing charities. I have seen their work first hand and I can't stress enough just how important charitable donations are to them.

If you would like to sponsor me for "RUNNING COAST TO COAST ACROSS THE USA IN 100 DAYS" then please visit:

www.justgiving.com/rungeordierun1 for St Benedict's Hospice

www.justgiving.com/rungeordierun2 for The Children's Foundation


Any amount, no matter how large or small, would be very greatly appreciated. Rest assured, that I'm going to work extremely hard to earn all pledges. Thanks so much in anticipation of your kind support.