Tuesday 2 March 2010

Where will it all end?

The current route that I'm using to run across the USA next year starts at Huntington Beach, California and finishes in Central Park, New York. There is one problem with this. The run will start at the Pacific Ocean but will fall short of the Atlantic Ocean by 20 or so miles. 

It would be a shame to travel all of that way and end up with the run not being a true coast to coast venture. 

Finding an end point for the run has been on my to-do list for quite a while now. With the help of Caroline O'Doherty from The Children's Foundation (and her sister in law in New York) I've decided to bring the 3100 mile run to an end at Coney Island.

Wikipedia has the following to say about the location of my new found "finish line".  "Coney Island is a peninsula, formerly an island, in southernmost Brooklyn, New York City, USA, with a beach on the Atlantic Ocean.".


The thing that swung it for me, though, is the fact that they have their own Hot Dog eating competition! Last year's winner managed to eat 68 hotdogs and buns in 10 minutes! I reckon, having just ran 3100 miles, I may be able to beat that!

In the meantime, it's official. My 3100 mile run across the USA is a true coast to coast route!