Monday 19 March 2007

A cold, icy, snowy 17 miles

Well I actually did it; 17 miles in 3 hours 29 minutes. I set off from Gosforth at 15:45 to make sure that there would be enough light when I finished (but there wasn't! AGAIN!). The first 6 miles to Blaydon were done in a mixture of bright sunshine one minute and snow showers the next. Fortunately, I'd packed a waterproof coat in my back pack and had to put it on after only 2 miles. It was to prove a life saver as icy snow showers were in evidence at quite a few points on the run. I took plenty of water on board and even tried another energy gel. I think the gel worked a treat this time as I felt quite comfortable all the way along the route. Those gel things have a disgusting taste though. I'll just have to put up with them as they do seem to do a lot of good.

I felt really good at the end as you can tell from the picture (the white dots are snow flakes!). The only aches I seemed to have after the run were at the ends of some of my toes. I think I need to get the nail clippers out!

I never imagined I'd put in a run as good as this due to the fact that I was "persuaded" to go to the chippy at lunchtime. I was on my way to the deli when the idea of a bag of chips was put before me. "No.... must... resist.... the..... chippy..... Got.... to...... get...... something...... healthy.....Fish and chips please pet.......with curry sauce!". But hey, they did the trick. I think I'll stick to the usual jacket tatey before Wednesday's 17 mile effort though.