Friday 8 June 2012

Team Run Geordie Run - Mick Butler

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it Ming the Merciless? No! It's Team Run Geordie Run's Mick Butler running the recent Edinburgh Half Marathon raising funds for The Children's Foundation. It's his 3rd event for Team Run Geordie Run over the last few years.


Mick was sponsored, very generously, to the tune of £999.99, by Edinburgh Audio Light Systems. They must have thought their money was safe as Mick's participation in the event was in doubt just weeks before he was due to take part. Not only that, but he had a few "comfort issues" during the run. As Mick explains "I picked up a training injury on my ankle a week before the race. I rested and treated it with ice and, with trepidation, set off for Edinburgh with a great bunch of running pals. 

The first eight miles were fine, the remainder challenging. In an effort to reduce discomfort I altered my stride enough to make a hole in the side of my trainer, so the last 5.1 were completed with my toe sticking out the side of my shoe. Should have been wearing Brooks! Finished in 01.56:00".


Watch this space for news of other kind folk raising funds for The Children's Foundation as part of Team Run Geordie Run. For example, there are 20 runners in this year's junior, mini and main Great North Run. My sponsor, Benfield Motor Group, are providing each member with a running vest especially designed by Dave at Shenton Creative. As soon as the final design is agreed, I'll post an image on the blog.

If you have a place in this year's Great North Run and would like to join Team Run Geordie Run and raise funds for The Children's Foundation then please get in touch for further information at sponsorship@rungeordierun.com.

Finally, well done to Mick for completing the Edinburgh Half Marathon in difficult circumstances. Thank you also to Edinburgh Audio Light Systems for their generous sponsorship in aid of The Children's Foundation.