Tuesday 9 June 2009

..away we went along Collingwood street, that's on the road to Blaydon!

Oh me lads! You should have seen us gannin! Well it's the 9th June, which can only mean one thing; my annual participation in the Blaydon Race. 3 years ago I clocked 00:58:59 in this race. 2 years ago my time was 00:52:53 and last year I managed 00:51:32. The aim this year was to beat 50 minutes and I'm pleased to report that I finished well within that target with a time of 00:46:48. 

I started the run just how I intended to go on with a faster than usual pace for me. I was never in any distress or trouble throughout the entire run and felt in total control the whole time. I think this pace was just about right for this stage of my training. I did wonder if yesterday's sports massage would have an adverse effect on my legs but in fact the opposite was true; my legs felt as good as they have for a long time. Although they are still very sore to the touch after Tracy from the gym had a right good go at them. Ooya!

The mile split times were as follows:

Mile 1 - 00:07:47
Mile 2 - 00:07:31
Mile 3 - 00:07:36
Mile 4 - 00:08:21
Mile 5 - 00:07:59
Mile 6 - 00:07:34

The final time was particularly pleasing given that it was done with only 2 rest days following that tough 90 mile week of running. I'm already looking forward to next year's run when I'll have ran nearly another 2800 miles by then. I've got to be looking at a sub 45 minute time next year!

While I'm on the subject of the Blaydon Races, why not check out a rather brilliant version of that famous song on the Exiles Myspace page. Regular readers will know that The Exiles (aka Alan Millen and Tim Readman) are in the process of producing 2 charity songs for Run Geordie Run. The delivery of the songs are imminent and I can't wait to hear Runner on a Lonely Road and Beneath The Angels Wings Once More. I'll keep you posted as and when I get further news on the songs. In the meantime, click here to be taken to The Exiles page where that catchy version of The Blaydon Races awaits.