Thursday 14 May 2009

In the presence of a true Geordie legend.

I was very lucky this week to be invited to the Children's Foundation AGM where I was able to get an insight into some of the projects they currently undertake and support. I was quite overwhelmed and humbled by the whole thing. They strike me as a very innovative charity and one of the projects talked about was concerned with using 3D technology as a distraction for children receiving medical treatment. I believe use of this technology in the burns unit is only a month or so away. 

There was also mention of the Great North Children's Hospital. I reckon that in years to come, it will be regarded in our region as highly as Great Ormond Street Hospital is in the south. The building design is brilliant and I'm sure it will be as iconic as other North East landmarks such as the Tyne Bridges, The Angel of the North and the Sage Gateshead.

Finally, there was a most fascinating talk given by Paralympian Stephen Miller (pictured). Stephen has competed in 4 Paralympic Games, 3 World Championships and 2 European Championships to date winning a whole host of medals including a Silver in Beijing. I was very proud to hear that he was born in Princess Mary's hospital albeit some 9 years after me! Stephen talked about his time growing up and the support he received from his family. To say that it was an honour and a privilege to get such an insight into Stephen's life and achievements is an absolute understatement. What a true Geordie Legend! I wish Stephen every success in the build up to London 2012.