Tuesday 20 June 2023

The first important step

I'm very pleased to report that I received the following message from St. Benedict's Hospice today.

Thank you for sending your sponsorship prospectus. I have the brilliant news that the Charity Board have approved all of it. They are extremely impressed with all that you have put together and grateful for all that you are planning. 

We hugely appreciate your continued, outstanding support of St Benedict's Hospice!

A huge thank you, first and foremost, goes to the charity board at St. Benedict's Hospice for allowing me to continue my ambitious fundraising dreams. This is such an important first step in ensuring that the next massive run in 2025 is a success. 

Attention now turns to the time and place where the announcement can be formally made. Following that, the sponsorship prospectus will be available for anyone that would like to read it and hopefully be able to support the 3100 mile run in 2025. Another thank you goes to the kind folk who have already pledged their kind support. It's astonishing that there is already a few thousand pounds in the pipeline for St. Benedict's Hospice. There'll be more on that in a few weeks time. 

I have been fundraising for St. Benedict's Hospice for 30 years now, and what began as a means of repaying a debt of gratitude has brought additional advantages over time. The most significant among them is, without a doubt, how it has helped me manage deep grief after the loss of my parents.

I'll close with the photograph below which was taken at a cheque presentation to Anne Oliver at St. Benedict's Hospice back in 1997. I'd roped a few work colleagues in to doing a 120 mile bike ride and we raised £500. 


Even then, I knew that I would need the kind support of others if I was to succeed on a fundraising journey for the Hospice. That sentiment is never more true with what I have planned for 2025. Watch this space in the coming weeks to find out how you can play an important part in it all. Your support will be the difference between success and failure.