Sunday 11 June 2023

Thank you

The overall charity fund is inching towards the £350,000 mark. 
  
I’ve adjusted the auction total slightly (minus £270) as one bidder changed their mind and won’t be paying for their winning item. It must be stated, however, that £3058 is a tremendous sum in aid of St. Benedict's Hospice. Thank you again for all of the winning bidders and those who bought a raffle ticket. 

I’ve taken tomorrow off work to go to the post office and post all of the auction items. There’s a few to hand deliver locally too. 

I’ve had a few people ask if the auction and raffle was to pay for the cost of the 2025 run. My reply is a simple one. Public money raised through such events and any donations ALWAYS goes directly to St. Benedict’s Hospice (and the other charities beforehand). Tour expenses for the runs up to and including 2007 and 2011 came out of my own pocket (approximately £17,000). It was a good investment with over £157,000 raised for charity. 

After the run across the USA, in 2011, I sought commercial backing to pay for tour expenses. The run across Australia was the first commercially backed run costing £16,000 approximately. That saw a £55,000 return for charity. 

The run across (whoops! I nearly typed it!!) in 2025 will require commercial backing to go ahead. I’ll also be seeking a significant sum for St. Benedict’s Hospice too. All of that is in a detailed Sponsorship Prospectus that is currently awaiting sign off from the hospice. 

Once I get the prospectus signed off I’ll be able to share details of the ambitious plans that I have for 2025. I believe it’s arguably the most difficult run I’ll ever do. I have set a £60,000 target for St. Benedict’s Hospice as a result. This £3058 will go some way towards that. 

So while the event hasn’t been signed off yet, I must press on with the fundraising, planning and training. 
The planning so far has consisted of plotting a high level 3100 mile route (the same amount of miles as the run across the USA in 2011). I’ve also planned the first 15 days in detail. 

I’ll be tracking my training from next week and will be sharing that with you (hopefully in the form of a YouTube episode). I have a lot of fitness to gain and a lot of weight to lose. This sounds very familiar! 

Thanks again to those kind folk who have contributed to the £3058 raised so far. This current campaign has 2 and a half years to go. As ever, I’ll be giving everything to raise funds as well as run some very tough miles over considerable distances. Stay tuned.