Monday 19 June 2023

Good habits forming

With the next major run less than two years away, there is currently a mindset and attitude that starkly contrasts with previous years. This isn’t a criticism of my effort since the last big run ended in 2018; rather, I want to emphasize that I am approaching the 3100 mile run in 2025 with utmost seriousness (and a healthy amount of fear and trepidation). 

Given my current fitness levels there’s little quality shown in the gym but, rest assured, there is no shortage of effort (as the heart rate graph shows). 


My focus recently has been on forming good habits. That improved mindset and attitude I mentioned is certainly helping with that. I’ve got in the gym far more in the last month than I’ve managed for quite a while. It doesn’t feel like a chore now and it’s not something I put off. Having the discipline to maintain that won’t be easy but I’ve gained some good momentum recently which will help. This is a stage I’m very familiar with but if there’s anything that’s going to drive me on, it’s the thought of another trans continental epic adventure. 
 
In terms of 2025, I am waiting on a “sign off” decision from St. Benedict’s Hospice of my sponsorship prospectus before I can announce my plans. This isn’t something that the hospice have asked to do but ever since my run across the USA in 2011, I’ve always thought it was the right thing to do. That document summarises the event and details exactly the level of support that will be required for it to go ahead. Having spoken to the hospice last week, I expect to announce the 2025 run later this month or early July at the latest. Watch this space.