Sunday 18 April 2021

Back to Huntington Beach?

You’d be forgiven for thinking that you were standing on a beach in California this morning if you attended David Fairlamb Fitness Bootcamp at Longsands, Tynemouth this weekend. As I warmed up with the other participants, the vibe and general atmosphere took me right back to Huntington Beach. The beautiful blue sky, the paddle boarders, the surfers, the runners and cyclists on the prom as well as the magnificent view of the sea all made for a most unexpected sense of deja vu. 


After a tough week of training which has been underpinned by some much needed good nutrition, it’s safe to say that I was well up for this session this morning. The difference in effort that I can give after eating well to eating poorly is night and day. I’d almost forgotten how much better I can feel even after a week of eating the right stuff in the right quantity at the right time around my exercise. 

The Beach Bootcamp session absolutely flew over. For me, it doesn’t get better than today. A tight session, well ran, plenty of instruction and a great bunch of people to train alongside. Once again, social distancing was made very easy thanks to the amount of beach at our disposal. The weather was perfect which helps massively too. 


It’s thanks to Dave that I’ve continued to enjoy exercising since last summer. There is still a very very long way to go on my own fitness journey but the foundation that’s being put down is going to give me the best possible chance of success. One day, I’ll be stood at the southern tip of New Zealand having ran around the world (it’s 10,200 miles away incidentally) I will absolutely be thinking back to times like these that helped make it possible. 

Wherever your exercise takes you this weekend I hope you enjoy it as much as I am doing right now.