Tuesday 18 May 2010

More route planning.

The painstaking process of planning the route and checking the mileage continues on a daily basis here at Run Geordie Run HQ.

This is my 3rd attempt at planning the route across the USA and I'm starting to get a very good appreciation of the miles and miles of road that I'll be running on next year.

I've had to do a bit of re-planning today due to the Zion - Mt. Carmel Tunnel in the Zion National Park, Utah (Pictured). I was due to be running through this area on day 18. You can see the NO PEDESTRIAN sign if you look closely. I walked through the tunnel using Google Street View. It's very dark and dangerous! There's some kind of Ranger on the other side of the tunnel. Even if I did risk going this way I'd probably get into trouble. The alternative seems to be running an additional 33 miles to the south and meeting back up with the road again further on. Doh! There are a few savings to be had later on so I'm not too worried about the additional mileage just yet.

Unlike the previous 2 planning attempts, I've got an eye on where I can best include the rest days and where the most likely pick up/drop off points are for the Support Team. 

The first rest day will be day 12 in Las Vegas. I will have ran 352 miles by this point and I can't think of a better place to stop and "rest" for a day. Yeeehaaaawwwww!!!!!