Thursday 23 June 2011

Day 53 - A record haul of miles

It was a brutal start to day 53 with yesterday's time zone change making the 0630 start feel like the 0530 that it would have been in Kansas. I had to have an impromptu team talk at my first scheduled water stop. This configuration of the team is not performing well for me and things needed to be said. I'll not go into details out of the respect of the team but things need to change. Stephen leaves the team 2 weeks earlier than planned next week and then I'm bringing the big guns in; my mentors Dave Fairlamb and Mark Fleming. They are going to help get me back on track by pushing me a lot more during the second session of the day. The first 20 or so miles are very easy now. Even in the scorching heat of Kansas. It's the mental battle I face in the final sessions of the day that they are going to help me with. Having some company on the run for 5 days with plenty of positive encouragement is not only going to be brilliant but something I haven't really had since Wee Kirsty left.

I've had a few messages on Twitter recently from possible friends and family of my support team. Here is a simple piece of advice for them. If you're offended by anything you read here and on my Twitter feed please don't read them. Oh and certainly don't buy the book. I would strongly advise against that.

People must understand that part of my remit is to share all aspects of this journey with my sponsors and the readers of this blog. Giving the reader a true taste of what it is like to run across the USA is what this blog is all about. The good points and the bad points will continue to be covered. As I stated earlier, there are occasions where I can't go into details. Once this is all over and a book is written, the full story will be known. I won't be making any money out of that book by the way. Everything last drop of funds raised in association with this run will, of course, go the way of St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation. I'll state one last time, if you are easily offended then please don't visit the blog. Please feel free to email me at junk@rungeordierun.com with any grievances or complaints.

That all said, nobody is more grateful than I am for the time and money begged, stolen and borrowed by members of the Support Team to be here. For the most part, they have all, so far, done a good job. I have only seen the RV nearly written off once and the team have only been lost once. Not bad for almost 1500 miles.

Meanwhile, today's run followed the pattern of yesterday. There were a good haul of miles before lunch,  a good haul of miles after lunch and some bonus miles at the end of the day. The first lot of miles were supposed to be 17 but Dame Shirley Bassey popped up on shuffle on my iPod and I managed to get to 20 before stopping for a bite to eat and a short Tactical Snooze.

The restart saw me do 8 miles only to then wave the team on when I saw a bit of a climb (pictured). I've missed a good run up a hill so I managed to get another 3 miles done at a much quicker pace.


The final session of the day, after tea, saw me reach Atwood having managed a total of 37.75 miles. That's a new record for this tour and means that I've now ran 1472.75 miles in the USA so far. I'm now due to hit the half way point on Friday. It's all downhill after that.

And finally, thanks for some more wonderful donations today. They are all so very appreciated. St Benedict's Hospice cared for my mother during her final days battling cancer is a wonderful institution that is so worthy of your pledges. As is, The Children's Foundation who do some wonderful work with children in the region. It is on those notes that I send out a plea for your hard earned cash.

www.justgiving.com have introduced a brilliant new free donation method. Did you know that you can now donate to the 2 charities using your mobile phone?

To donate an amount to St Benedict's Hospice, please text your desired amount and the following code RNGR98 to 70070:


To donate an amount to The Children's Foundation, please text your desired amount and the following code RNGR99 to 70070:



Donations can also be made direct to St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation using the following links to justgiving.com.

(St Benedict's Hospice)

(The Children's Foundation)

Finally, a donation can be made via cheque payable to 'The Children's Foundation' or 'St Benedict's Hospice' and sent to the following addresses:

FAO Libby Nolan
The Children's Foundation,
PO Box 2YB,
Sir James Spence Institute,
Victoria Wing,
Royal Victoria Infirmary,
Queen Victoria Road,
Newcastle upon Tyne.
NE99 2YB.

FAO Sylvia Stoneham
St Benedict's Hospice.
Monkwearmouth Hospital,
Newcastle Road,
Sunderland,
SR5 1NB.

Thanks in advance for any donations. I will get round to thanking everyone personally, via email, when I return to the UK in August.