Monday 13 April 2020

The Stay At Home Ultra Duathlon (Day 3)

I felt quite tired and sore at the start of day 3 of the Stay At Home Ultra Duathlon. A sluggish first 3 miles was done in 00:38:25. That's an average pace of 00:12:46 per mile. If I don't find a quicker pace than that by the weekend then I'm going to be in trouble when it comes to running up to a half marathon (twice) on Sunday.

I was 10 miles in to the bike session after that slow but solid first 3 mile running segment. I started to  notice neighbours who I’ve never waved at or smiled at in 2 and a bit years of living here suddenly waving and smiling. It was a simple gesture from afar but made a huge difference to my speed on the bike. I immediately thought of this scene from one of my favourite movies. Please humour me on this one!


I finished the 30 mile bike ride at 7pm. It took me 02:08:27 to cycle that distance. Again, if I don't find some more speed on the bike then I'll be in for 2 very long days at the weekend. I felt pretty good when I got off the bike. There's definitely more speed to be had if I can get my mind and body working together better.

The final 3 mile run got underway just after 7pm and was finished in 00:37:37. It was slightly quicker  than the first run of the day.


Thank you to everyone who made a donation today. The current total for St Benedict's Hospice stands at £170. I originally hoped to raise £100 so that amount is fantastic.

Thank you also to the kind person who donated whose wife is a nurse. I found out that she went off on another night shift as I was finishing my 2nd running segment. Their household has an elderly resident in it who has temporarily had to move out to another family member’s house to reduce the risk of infection. The rest of the family are keeping their distance, within the same household, from the nurse (also a mother), and washing their hands regularly and thoroughly. I think she has 3 more night shifts this week. Thank you to that nurse, and all of her colleagues in the NHS, for carrying out their duties despite putting themselves and their families in harms way.