Sunday 11 August 2024

USA 2025 Route changes

I've spent a lot of time in recent weeks replanning the final 19 days of the run across the USA. There were a few reasons behind the changes that I made. The main one being that I wanted to add similar jeopardy to the closing stages of the run that the 2011 event saw. I faced a huge mileage deficit back then. This made for an incredible final few weeks that really helped to further capture the public’s imagination. That “will he/won’t he make it on time” scenario was one of the reasons why people were engrossed in the run and the money poured in to the charities. 

I don’t plan to have any unexpected mileage deficits in the USA next year. However, due to the route changes I’ve made, which have seen an additional 30 miles added, a natural deficit has been introduced. On top of that, I have added some strategic lower mileage days of around circa 27 miles. It may not sound like a huge reduction from a required average of 31.8 miles but it soon adds up. 

The changes start on day 71 (10th July 2025) where I’ll begin running with a deficit of 28 miles. Back in 2011, I was 166 miles behind schedule on day 71! The 28 miles of deficit is a result of adding the 30 miles later on. Back to day 71 and instead of sticking to route 136, I’ll be tackling a 23 mile desert road section through Valley Of The Gods (pictured below). That will be an unsupported section and I’ll be meeting the support team as I rejoin route 136 further down. The end to this particular 34 mile day is Forest Gump point. This sets me up nicely for a 36 mile push through Monument Valley to Kayenta the following day. 



It’s 97 miles from Kayenta to Page (near the famous Horseshoe Bend). That will take 3 days to complete and will see the deficit reduced to 20 miles. Incidentally, it’ll be my 54th birthday in the middle of that stretch. It looks like I’ll be spending it at a fuel station called Shonto Marketplace. There is a laundrette there! I may get cleaned clothes for my birthday. 

The most impactful change to the route was made after Page, Arizona. Instead of heading north west to a familiar destination of Coral Pink Sands, I’ll instead be heading south, parallel to the Colorado River. As you can see from the route below, I’ll double back on my self, heading north again before crossing the river at Marble Canyon using the iconic Navajo Bridge. As the crow flies this day 76 isn’t a huge distance. However, I’ll be running an event high 39 miles (at that point in the run). 

The deficit will be reduced to 13 miles at the end of day 76. This will be further reduced the following day where I’ll have the stunning Vermilion Cliffs to my right on a day that will see 41 miles ran. 



The 180 mile stretch on days 78 to 82 are where I get reacquainted with some of the USA 2011 route (in reverse obviously). Colorado City, Apple Valley, St. George, The Virgin River Gorge and Mesquite remain very familiar in my minds eye after all these years. 

Unlike 2011, I won’t be running on Interstate after Mesquite. Instead, I’ve got a 20 mile unsupported desert section which will place me in the Valley of Fire State Park. By the time I get there on day 82, the mileage will be at an event high surplus of 17 miles. With 148 miles in Death Valley looming just a week away, the mileage surplus will be used to my advantage. 

The following 7 days (83 - 89) through and beyond Las Vegas will require an average of only 26.2 miles to be ran with 15 miles on day 88. That 7 days of average marathon distances towards the end of July will be done in expected extreme temperatures. 

Day 90 is the first of 5 days in Death Valley National Park. That will see be descend into the park, below sea level, with a 29 mile section to Badwater Basin. Temperatures of 45-50 Celsius are expected. 

Day 91 is an 18 mile section from Badwater Basin to Furnace Creek. That day starts at 272ft below sea level and climbs to the heady heights of 7ft before dipping below again. 
 
Day 92 is a 25 mile section from Furnace Creek to Stovepipe Wells. If you’re familiar with Death Valley you’ll appreciate that there is nothing between these places other than road and extreme temperatures. 

Day 93 and 94 are where the ultimate challenge lies. The 31 mile section on day 93 from Stovepipe Wells to Panamint Springs starts at 7 ft below sea level and has a 5000ft climb to Towne Pass during the first 16.5 miles. That’s absolutely massive in any temperature never mind the extreme ones I’ll be faced with. Please spare a thought for the support team too. It's going to be brutal.

The 8 mile downhill section into the Panamint Valley (the final part is pictured below) may bring some relief but I doubt it. You wouldn’t think, by looking at the image below, that it’s a further 6 miles to the finish line at Panamint Springs (in the distance). That sits at 1900 ft above Sea level. It is at this point that the run will be 48 miles behind the average schedule.


The mission of getting the run back on track starts on the final day in Death Valley National Park (day 94, 2nd August 2025). Among many difficult and challenging days, this is the one that presents the biggest of them all and possibly of any run I’ve ever done. It’s certainly up there with day 100 of the run across the USA where 60 miles were required to finish on time. 

From Panamint Springs on day 94, there’s a 17 mile climb up to 5223ft followed by a steady 28 mile descent down to 3658ft and out of Death Valley. The 45 miles in total to Olancha will be physically tough, the second highest daily miles of the entire USA 2025 event and the final of 5 excruciating days in Death Valley. It is at this point that I’m prepared for nerves, panic and an overwhelming feeling of anxiety. I’ll be so close to the finish line in terms of time (6 days left) but there will still be 225 miles to run. 

If you’re keeping up with the maths then the run will be 32 miles behind schedule at this point. The final six days head due south towards the finish line. Days 95, 96 and 97 require 38 miles each day on route 395. The first of which will see me burst through the 3000 mile point. 

Day 98 will require 46 miles to be ran. At the end of route 395, 25 miles into the day, is the Outpost Cafe. This is where I was given a free lunch back during the USA 2011 run. I will be paying my respects to the owner who passed away a few years ago. 

The final 21 miles of day 98 will be tough. Firstly, I’ll be running through a locality where dogs sole aim appears to be to protect their owner’s properties. The sound of the vicious barks is already haunting my nightmares. Then there’s the 6 mile up and over the 4114ft summit and down into Cajon Pass (which I nicknamed the dogging capital of LA back in 2011). If the over friendly gentlemen don’t get me then the creatures making the growling noises in the mountains just might. I’ll be very happy to reach the finish line at Devore Heights that day! It’s at this point that the run will only be 1.4 miles behind schedule. 

31 miles on day 99 will leave just 34 miles on day 100 to get to Huntington Beach on time. That will be 3180 miles Across The USA in 100 days. 

I’m sure that there will be many twists and turns and not everything will go to plan. We will need a plan A, B, C, D and so on. 

That final quarter of the run gives me a platform to take the engagement with followers to the highest level that I possibly can. That’s not to say that the other days won’t. They are all very challenging days in that section too. 

To inspire and to challenge people’s perception of what a normal man in the street can do will hopefully encourage them to make a donation to St. Benedict's Hospice. 

As I said at the end of the USA run in 2011 “The significance of this won’t sink in with me for quite some time.”. I’m not 100% sure what I meant by that as I type this blog. I do believe the answer lies somewhere on a 3180 mile route next year however.