Tuesday 20 August 2024

Final USA 2025 route changes

I spent the majority of Sunday 11th August working on changes to the first 12 days of the route across the USA through New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The main reason for changing the route is to keep the first few days at a relatively low mileage. In theory this would just mean a change to the end point of each day rather than the actual route itself.

By the end of the day, I had managed to plot the route from Coney Island, through Manhattan and into New Jersey. It wasn’t an easy route to plot. However, the task was made easier with help from “my man in NYC”, Steve Pringle. You may remember that Steve came to our rescue in 2011 when the last USA run finished. He answered a call on social media for help to get a lift from the motorhome drop-offf point in upstate New York to our hotel own Manhattan. It turned out that this was the Steve Pringle who was in the year above me at the same school! It really was a poetic ending to that run. I’m very pleased and grateful that Steve is helping out again at the start of the run as I’ve written about before. In the meantime, with his help, I was able to one tune next year’s day1 route. 

Steve was able to advise on quite a few things including a query I had about the south side of the George Washington Bridge (the nearest pedestrian exit out of Manhattan). It turns out the south side is shut for repairs. That’s the side I ran across on day 100 back in 2011 (pictured below). The north side of the bridge is perfectly passable as confirmed by Steve who cycled the route recently. 


Between us we made a further few tweaks to the day 1 route. The first of which was a slightly longer but familiar route through Brooklyn. Running up Ocean Parkway has less traffic and there’s a dedicated cycle/running path. This is the road I ran on in the closing stages of the USA 2011 run. 

I decided to cross over the Brooklyn Bridge this time and run all the way up Broadway to Central Park then Harlem and upper Manhattan before crossing the Hudson River using the George Washington Bridge.  

To keep up the tradition of having Geordies involved at start/finish lines, Steve very kindly offered to run with me from the Brooklyn Bridge all the way to the George Washington Bridge. That’s approximately 10 miles. 

I started and finished the previous runs across the USA and Australia with Geordie company. The runs across also Europe ended with Geordie company. 







Back to the 2025 route and I thought I had a settled day 1 route until Steve confirmed my thoughts on a bridge over the Hackensack river. While, it looks quite passable, there is no official footpath. Steve drove that way to work last Tuesday (going above and beyond the call of duty again!) to confirm. 

So fast forward to Sunday just gone and I tweaked the day 1 route to finish in close proximity to my 2011 route. This means that I’ll be running 26.5 miles on that first day (pictured below). A quite unique New York Marathon. This also means that instead of following a slightly southerly route, I’ll be running the reverse of my 2011 route over the first 11 days. There are some quite brutal climbs up and over various parts of the Appalachians. I’m looking forward to getting reacquainted with the on in May next year. 


A huge thank you goes to Steve for his assistance in planning the route out of NYC and for his offer of some running company. As I’m following a previously trodden route now over the first few weeks, I’ve been able to plot some good daily end points. Familiarity of the localities I’ll be running through really has helped to shape the first 321 miles. There are a few changes after that, mainly to avoid a place where the motorhome was attacked in 2011. As you can see from the plan below, I don’t run more than 30 miles each day until day 4. This will really help me ease in to the run. These will be tough miles with plenty of climbing to be done every day. The mind boggling fact that I thought of today was that I won’t reach the USA 2011 day 100 start point until 4 miles into day 3 next year! What a last day that was back in 2011. 60 miles! 


Despite the changes and a more northerly route, the total mileage to Huntington Beach, California remains at 3180. I’ve decided to change the marketing of this run to be a round figure of 3200 miles. I’m sure the total mileage will end up exceeding 3200 anyway, once I take into account slight navigational detours or errors. 

So with the route planning now complete, I'm looking forward to getting on with the many other tasks that are still to be done. I'm also looking forward to running past the sign below again (in the opposite direction) next May.