Wednesday 16 March 2011

Edinburgh to Newcastle in 3 days

The final "big run" before I run across the USA starts this Friday. It's a tough little route from Edinburgh Castle to the Keep in Newcastle. It will take 3 days and 107 miles to complete this mostly unsupported run. There will be a few cameo appearances from Mrs Run Geordie Run and a flask of hot soup from the Run Geordie Run mobile. For the most part, though, I will be carrying my spare kit, water and energy bars in my trusty backpack.

Just like the last time I ran this route back in November 2010, I'm expecting thousands of hits on this website and lots of interest on Twitter. With that in mind, I'm currently looking for a sponsor of this run with all proceeds to be split between The Children's Foundation (Charity No 1000013) and St Benedict's Hospice (Charity No. 1019410). The run will be known as "The INSERT YOUR NAME HERE Castle to Keep Challenge".

The event and your name/company name will get mentioned on this website, on my Twitter page (currently 4,300 followers), on Facebook (currently 1550 followers and over 500 friends). If you'd like to sponsor the run then please drop me a line with your bid amount at sponsorship@rungeordierun.com. Bidding will close at 10pm on Thursday and will be done via email and via my Twitter page. I'll post regular updates on this blog with regard to how the bidding is going. Please get bidding folks and help make this weekend's journey, the final big training run, a success.

This is the route that I will be taking. Click on it to be taken to Google Maps.


Day 1 of the Castle to Keep Challenge is from Edinburgh Castle to Melrose. Day 2 is from Melrose to Otterburn. Day 3 is from Otterburn to the Keep in Newcastle.