Sunday 31 August 2008

Forget 9 weeks time.....training starts tomorrow!

I've been like a coiled spring waiting to burst into action for the last few weeks.   The anticipation of the start of my training has been hard to take.  I must be mad.  Normal people would probably enjoy the calm before the inevitable storm.  But not me.  I'm desperate to put all of the words into action.  I also think that getting such a huge pledge as I did yesterday has spurred me into action.

I've already brought the start of my training forward once but I feel the time is right to do that again.   So instead of a November 2008 start date I now have a September 2008 start date!  Yes, that's tomorrow! 

It's going to be a nice steady start, covering the usual lunchtime routes as well as trying to get out for a run before and after work on some days.  The target is a nice steady 50 miles for the next 3 weeks.  This will reduce down to 30 miles in the 4th week before I add a little bit on for the next 4 week cycle. 

This slight increase in mileage will continue right up up until July 2009 when I should be able to run 110 miles per week, again decreasing down to 65 miles per week in the 4th week.  

Hopefully by then, with David and Mark's help I'll have the nutrition side of things sorted out.  I've noticed that since I've started drinking beer again my diet has been effected immensely.  I never was good at drinking 8 pints without a kebab! This is just one more reason to start training early.  I've had 3 good sessions on the beer in the last 3 weeks.  The effect it's had on my diet not to mention training has been very noticeable.  So with that in mind I'll be knocking the beer on the head after September.  I've got 2 night's out planned and after that I'll be totally on the wagon.  It'll not be that much of a miss.  It never is.  I didn't have a beer between February and August this year.  I survived!  

Anyway, watch this space for regular updates of my training.  The next 3 years are going to be some of the toughest and most rewarding of my life.  Oh and remember that the longest journeys start with just a few small steps.  The first of which will be at about 12:15 tomorrow on a 5 mile run to Newcastle Race Course and back!  Let the fun begin!