Thursday 27 July 2023

Progress in the USA

Despite being on vacation for a few weeks watching Newcastle play in the USA, that hasn’t stopped the planning for the 3100 mile run across the USA in 2025. 


The main point of progress has been the early stages of recruiting a support team. I’m pleased to report that there are some excellent candidates showing an interest already. There’ll be a proper form on www.rungeordierun.com in August for those people who wish to apply to join the USA 2025 Support Team. 

I’ve now got the first 50 days of the run planned in detail. That route takes me through New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri and half of Kansas. The rest of Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California will be completed in August. It’s a painstaking task but an enjoyable one all the same. 

I’ve began the search for a reasonably priced motorhome. Prices for 2025 are not yet available but I’m getting a good idea of what is available and at what price for 2024. Failing to secure such accommodation for myself and the support team will prevent the run going ahead. 


Still to do when I return to the UK, is to step up the search for additional commercial sponsors as well as people to contribute to the “Promise Fund” in aid of St. Benedict's Hospice. That support is also a must if the run is to go ahead. I’m hugely grateful to Chapman Ventilation who have already filled the role of main sponsor. 


There’s also the small matter of getting fit for the run. That’s is something that I’m rlooking forward to immensely. The volume, intensity, type and frequency of training will have to be similar to what I achieved in 2008-2010 before the last USA run. I’ll try not to break my ankle 11 months before the event this time!  

That’s some brief thoughts for now. I’m writing this at 37,000 ft on a flight from Atlanta to New Jersey. Don’t forget, if you’d like to find out more about the run or even support it through commercial sponsorship or the “Promise Fund” then the prospectus can be viewed here.