Monday 28 September 2020

Stage X Training soon to start

The special stage of the run around the world (nicknamed Stage X for now) that I talked about recently will be held next Summer. I intend to announce exact details about what Stage X entails on the 4th November which will be 32 years to the day since my Dad sadly lost his fight against cancer. With it being 25 years since my Mam also lost her fight, it remains hugely important, relevant and appropriate to continue to raise as many funds as possible for St. Benedict's Hospice. 


Having given Stage X a lot of thought since the idea popped in my head 2 weeks ago, I’m convinced that this could be one of the toughest physical challenges that I’ve ever faced. Success is far from guaranteed and everything I do between next Monday (when formal training starts) and Summer 2021 will be hugely important. Quality, effort, tenacity, determination and consistency are just a few words that spring to mind that will needed if Stage X is to be successful. 

I’ve spent the last week trying to work out what a training plan will look like. It reminds me of when I sat down in 2008 to plan the build up to the run across the USA. I think with all of the experience gained running 10,000 miles around the world so far, the logistics surrounding Stage X should be quite straightforward. What won’t be though, is the type and volume of training which I believe I need to get though. I’m no expert in any of this but I feel that I need to reach the heights in training that I consistently found from 2008 - 2010 (just before I broke my ankle!!). What a training campaign that was up until that point. What a relief that I recovered in time to run across the USA as planned in 2011 (The image below was taken on one of the early days of that run on Route 66 in California).


Back to Stage X and one of the most important aspects of my training must be to continue to have fun while I’m doing any form of exercise. This recently rediscovered love of keeping fit is not something I planned. It just happened. I’ve really managed to find a good balance lately with plenty of variety and many opportunities to work as hard as I possibly can. From David Fairlamb Fitness Beach Bootcamp (pictured below) or Versa Climber class to a circuit in my home gym or a good old fashioned run around the block, I’ve enjoyed every minute. 


I’m very conscious of keeping this enjoyment going over the next 9 or so months until Stage X begins. With fun and enjoyment in mind, as well as an appreciation of the size and scale of Stage X, I think I’ve got a really good training plan established. It will undoubtedly get fine tuned over time but I’m really looking forward to getting stuck in. I don’t recall being able to say that for many years. 

Each training week will be laid out on my whiteboard on a Sunday night for the week ahead. There’ll be fun elements to this too and also an opportunity for followers to get involved. I’ll explain more about that this coming weekend. 

Training proper for Stage X starts next Monday. The first session to get through will be tough. So much so, that I’ll be taking my first day off work this year to do it.