Tuesday 25 September 2018

25th Anniversary Challenge - Day 7

I was woken at 11pm last night (Sunday) by a drunk driver who pulled up next to Chappie and asked what it was. I just said it’s a mobile B&B and after a few F words he seemed happy with my answer and drove off. 

It took me a good hour to get back to sleep and I managed to put my fleece on as I was getting very cold. It was only 1 or 2 degrees Celsius on the hill overlooking Cowshill. 

I kept waking up and putting my head inside the sleeping bag to try and keep warm. Then the lack of air woke me up and I’d get cold again. This continued throughout the night. 

I woke up at 0600 with a really bad head and didn’t start running until 1000. I hadn’t gone 1/2 mile when I was stopped by a long term supporter called Dee. We had a good chat and I was very grateful for her donation. Thanks to the very good phone signal I paid it straight into http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/rungeordierun

The following miles were very slow. Every time I tried to run my head pounded. At least the sun was shining and I managed to warm up. In fact, the conditions and the clothes that I was wearing were perfectly matched. 

I made it to the 7 mile point near East Gate and got talking to a man called David tending to his garden. He invited me in for a hot drink. Both him and his wife (Judith) were teachers in Washington and we got talking about my former teachers and inevitably about my running. They also made a very kind donation via http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/rungeordierun

I had a couple of cups of coffee and some toast with peanut butter on. It was almost 1500 when I left and I knew I was way behind schedule. It was worth it though as they were nice people to talk to. 

I started running towards Stanhope and my headache had gone. It’s amazing what toast can do for a headache! Or any ailment for that matter. Some ladies threw some change into Chappie’s basket and a man in a Volvo handed me a pound coin near Stanhope. 

I knew I was up against it time wise so decided to increase the pace to 12/13 minute miles. I was able to maintain that pace for 10 miles. 

I took a left at the 17 mile point and started running up Wolsingham Bank. It was shorter but steeper than yesterday’s climb out of Nenthead. I had to stop half way up for five minutes. I didn’t feel well at all. I managed to get to the top and I was soaked in sweat. 

Waiting for me at the top was another long term supporter called Mark. I recognised him from the previous Around The World balls. He made a kind donation which I paid straight away into http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/rungeordierun. I must buy him a pint at the next ball in 3 weeks time. 

There was a bit of a down hill and then another climb into Tow Law. I felt very hungry and out on Facebook “Please tell me there’s a chippy in Tow Law”. A follower of the Run Geordie Run Page (Tony Palmer) replied with an address and I made my way to The Golden Fry. 

I ordered Sausage And Chips with curry sauce. Delicious! 

I ate them inside the chippy and a man called Mike (pictured below) entered the shop having recognised Chappie outside. He was the first in the shop to make a donation. He found out about my running on Real Radio during the run across the USA. 

I also received a donation from a young girl called Jessica and the rest of her family had a photo with Chappie. 

The Golden Fry wouldn’t take my money for the food and they also handed me a bag of change. I paid the equivalent for my food and the change amount as well as money collected earlier in Stanhope to St. Benedict’s Hospice via http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/rungeordierun and continued on my way. 

The generosity in Town Law didn’t end there when Mike contacted me via Facebook to offer a shower and bed for the night. He was on a call out job but would be with me at 2030 to bring me back to Tow Law. 

I climbed inside Chappie after 22 miles and waited for Mike. He arrived at 2030 and we loaded Chappie onto the back of his trailer and drove a mile back to Tow Law. 

A hot shower, a cup of tea and a warm bed is not how I thought this day would end. I’m very pleased and very grateful to not have to spend the final night in almost sub zero temperatures again. 

Tomorrow is the final day of the 25th Anniversary Challenge. So far £387.85 has been raised since I left home last Sunday. I’m really pleased with the amazing generosity that has been shown. I’m looking forward to reaching St. Benedict’s Hospice tomorrow afternoon and ending my first 25 years of fundraising at the place where it all began. 

If you’d like to donate then please visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/rungeordierun. Thanks in advance.