Sunday 23 September 2018

25th Anniversary Challenge - Day 5

I set off from The Quiet Site near Ullswater just after 1000. I’d just had a full Cumbrian Breakfast which the owner wouldn’t accept any money for. Once again I paid the equivalent amount to St. Benedict’s Hospice via http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/rungeordierun


I reached Ullswater after 2 miles. There was quite a bit of traffic about but I was always given plenty of room by the overtaking cars. 


I made it to the M6 junction after 7.5 miles and ran as fast as I could onto the A66 to avoid holding any traffic up. I wasn’t on that road for long before joining the A686 road to Alston. 

At Langwathby after 12 miles of running I was faced with another set of traffic lights. I don’t think I made it to the other side in time and there was a stream of traffic behind me. Everyone seemed to be patient so there was no issue. 


The climb to Hartside Summit started just after Langwathby. I had to remove two layers at the top of the initial incline as I was boiling hot. 


I stopped at 1500 to cook some food and have a few cups of Northumberland Tea. I got going again at 1600 and felt full of energy. A lady called Lucy who I spoke to on Wednesday in the rain passed by in her car and wished me good luck. 

The view to my left was stunning as I continued up the climb to Hartside Summit. 


It was fairly cold as I neared the top despite the late afternoon sun. 



I made it to the summit after 24 miles of running. It was a lot different to the last time I was up here right in the middle of Storm Ali. 


I set up camp and settled in for the night. 


There was a very nice sunset as I climbed inside Chappie. 


Thanks to those kind people who have made a donation to St. Benedict’s Hospice today. If you’d like to do so then please visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/rungeordierun.