Saturday 2 April 2011

Introducing the Support Team - Richard (aka Neil)

This blog post is the first in a series in April, where I'll be introducing the Run Geordie Run USA 2011 Support Team. They are a motley bunch of individuals but very dependable and experienced nonetheless.

I'll be giving the team an opportunity to say a few words about being part of the team and you will be hearing more of their side of the story during the actual run itself. In fact, I'm planning on a Big Brother style Diary Room in the RV where the team will be able to give you the inside story of what is going on during the run across the USA.

Not only have the Support Team paid for their own flights, insurance and food costs they are also taking valuable annual leave from their day jobs. 

First up on the team is Richard Scholfield. Richard brings a wealth of experience to the team. For example, he has experience of self-sufficiency in Mongolia and is a keen rock climber. I'm also aware that he is used to fixing vehicles and crossing remote rivers without bridges. Hopefully, those skills will not be required during the run across the USA!

Richard will be on the team for the first 2 weeks during the stretch from Huntington Beach to a point 60 miles north east of Las Vegas. His knowledge and experience will be invaluable as I run through the Mojave Desert too.

Readers should note that, just like I did in 2007 from John O'Groats to Lands End, each team member will have a nickname. Richard's nickname, due to his long flowing hippy like locks (sorry mate!) is Neil. That nickname was chosen in memory of the character from the 1980's show The Young Ones. For those not familiar with this classic show, that's Neil to the right. Richard is actually pictured below.

Next week I'll be introducing more members of the team on my blog so please check back for that. In the meantime, I'll leave you with a few final words from Richard, erm I mean Neil.

"Hi, I'm Richard, first up as part of the support team and driver of the RV. Always wanted to say that! I'm looking forwards to being part of such a huge event, supporting Mark in his latest and greatest efforts for St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation. And what an opportunity to see parts of world I'd probably never go to otherwise, travelling between Los Angeles and Las Vegas at 31 miles a day, I should get to know them pretty well. There's a lot of learning to be done for all of us, how an RV works, how to live in it with people we don't know very well, bring it on!".