Saturday 30 April 2011

Final preparations

The team and I did a "reccy" down at Ruby's Diner this morning. And while we were down there, we thought it would be rude not to try the local delicacies (again!). That makes up for the 2 salads I had yesterday!


Ruby's Diner and the pier on which it is situated is a really nice place. There was a lot of surfing and fishing going on and almost every beach volleyball court was occupied.


There was also a farmer's market and I took the opportunity to buy some strawberries and blueberries. They were about 1/5 price of the UK and absolutely delicious.


It's a busy day tomorrow (or today if you're reading this in the UK). The team and I leave the digs in Huntington Beach and will be picking the RV up in the morning.  I have the unenviable task of driving the RV to the first spot near the start line in Huntington Beach where we will remain until Sunday. PR Lady Shelli will be picking Richard, the first driver, up later in the day. Thankfully, Richard will be driving after that. I'm really not looking forward to driving a 31 ft vehicle on the roads of LA. What can go wrong!


I can't sign off today without saying a huge thank you to exiled Geordie, Nick Davison (pictured above). He took me and the team out for dinner tonight in Huntington Beach and later on we got to meet his lovely family and friends (including Big Rick who is pictured in a previous Blog Post). Nick, a former PE teacher at Wallsend and later Shiremoor Middle School, has been in the USA for 20 years. I'm pleased to report that his Geordie accent seems quite well intact. Nick got in touch a few weeks ago after seeing the run across the USA publicised on nufc.com. Thanks Nick.