Tuesday 3 July 2007

A fine send off!

I did my final training run today around the so called "Mark Allison Memorial 6 miles". This route starts at Northern Rock and heads toward and goes around the Town Moor. The final long straight is then up the Great North Road past my birthplace (Princess Mary's Hospital) and back to Northern Rock.

I'd asked a few of the regular Northern Rock runners to accompany me one last time. There was a good turnout and the 9 of us set off in humid conditions.

Despite different abilities in the pack we stayed together for a few miles
(for a change!). However, it wasn't long before the speed merchants
left me behind.

This was a fitting send off. I've ran with these lads many times in preparation for the big run. I hope the next time we run as a pack, I'm a few stone lighter and get to run at the front a bit more than usual.

Pictured from left to right are Carl Hudson, Ian "The Coach" Glasgow, Pete Maddison, Steven Moore, Michael Dunn, John Brettell, Patrick Aynsley-Smyth and Colin Moore (who appears to have left his arms in the changing rooms).