Monday 2 May 2011

Day 1 - Complete

It was an excellent start to the run across the USA today (or yesterday if you're reading this in the UK). I managed a total of 32.4 miles which means I have 1.4 miles in the bag when I think about the required 31 miles a day schedule. At the end of the run, my legs felt in really good nick. I had a really good stretch and, of course, 2 servings of CherryActive. After that, I soaked my legs in iced water which was absolutely excruciating! 

Richard (aka Neil as he looks like Neil from the Young Ones) made tuna and pasta, which went down an absolute treat. After that, it was time to work on the book for a few hours. It has been a very busy day and I have it all to do again tomorrow.

PR lady Shelli leaves the team tomorrow. Her help, advice and local knowledge as well as that from her assistant Kate has been invaluable. Shelli, also did a brilliant job supporting me in the car today. She will be a huge miss on the front line team. She will, however, be running the logistical side of things from North Carolina and will be on hand for advice if we need it. She will continue to pitch the run to the US media and will join up with the team in a few weeks.

I now have wireless broadband setup so updating the blog shouldn't be as much of an issue going forwards. I was updating it using Starbucks WiFi today. The helpful staff from the popular coffee shop also filled my numerous water bottles for free too. On the condition that they could have a photo taken with me! Which was nice. On the subject of water, I've drank about 9 litres today! 

It's time for sleep now as it's almost 1am. I didn't finish running until just after 9pm. The final session of the day was so much easier in the cool evening climate. 

Tomorrow's route is undulating and tricky with lots of twists and turns but it's the shortest possible one. It's imperative that I run the required minimum mileage of 31 miles. If I have another day like today then there's no reason I shouldn't. The support vehicle from here is the RV. I'll be able to get a light pasta based meal during the run.

And on an absolutely positive note, the number of days running is now down to only double figures from triple. i.e. 100 down to 99.

Finally, if you would like to make a donation then any amount, no matter how large or small, would be gratefully received using the following links.

(St Benedict's Hospice)

(The Children's Foundation)