Tuesday 26 April 2011

I'm leaving, on a jet plane…..

My cases are packed, the iPod is fully loaded with some quality tunes and I'm raring to get on my way to LA. I set off from Newcastle Airport this morning and will reach LA in the wee small hours of British Summer Time tomorrow morning. 

It's going to be very tough to say goodbye to Mrs Run Geordie Run and Run Geordie Run Junior this morning. I won't see them again until the 12 August which, at this moment in time, seems like an eternity away. 

In my opinion, the effect of being separated from my family is the biggest risk to my mental wellbeing on this run. Apart from a few Newcastle matches in Europe, we've hardly spent any time apart. Recently, I've had some good advice from some very brave and knowledgeable folk in our Armed Forces. Obviously, they face this kind of separation on a very regular basis and it is something that I will be taking inspiration and strength from.

In other news, I've managed to get a seat with leg room on the flight out to LA. Thank you British Airways! I'll be travelling to LA with the publisher of my book, Stu from Tonto Books. He will be with me for the first 2 weeks of the run and is going to ensure that I continue to write the book in an appropriate style. I'm working to a tight timescale and their is a small window for editing the book when I get back to the UK with a publication date of the 22nd September. I'll be working on the book at the end of each day's running in the USA. No rest for the wicked!

As well as www.rungeordierun.com, you can keep up to date with the run across the USA on Twitter,  Facebook, in David Fairlamb's column in The Journal newspaper each Saturday, on www.nufc.com, on BBC Look North from time to time and I'll be giving an update to Gary and Lisa on Real Radio's Breakfast Show every Monday morning.

Most importantly, any donations to St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation can be made using the following links to justgiving.com. All donations are gratefully received, no matter how large or small. Every single pound helps to make a difference to the lives of terminally ill people and children in the region.