Wednesday 16 June 2010

Lots going on behind the scenes


There's been a bit of a lull on the Run Geordie Run blog lately. You may think that there's not much going on at the moment, but you couldn't be more mistaken if you're thinking that. 

As you can tell from the numerous maps on the site, I've plotted the first 50 days of the run in great detail. I'm within 2 miles of the other 2 times I've undertaken this exercise. Accuracy is so important! I hand crafted my  John O'Groats to Lands End route back in 2007 and I that route was exactly as planned at 874 miles. 

It should take me another 3 weeks to finish the route. After that, I'll turn my attention to assembling the Run Geordie Run Support team. I've got 10 people interested in joining the team so far. Of course, I need to assess their suitability and availability, but the signs are good so far based on their application forms. If you would like to apply to join the Run Geordie Run support team then please click here

As you can see from the photo I've started to use weight bearing crutches. I walked 3/4 mile on them last weekend and hope to do a full mile in Tynemouth this Saturday morning. On Tuesday, I taught myself how to go up and down steps. I've only come close to falling over once!

I've said it many times over the last 3 weeks, but I really do have a lot of respect for those people who have to go about their daily life with a permanent disability. With that in mind, I've found it very difficult to complain at all about my condition. 

The Grant Edwards Run Geordie Run Plaster Cast will be coming off in 2 weeks and 4 days. I'm desperate to start running again but I will only do so when the time is right. As per the previous 3 weeks since the accident, I will be taking and following all of the advice that comes my way. The surgeon, the physios, and my mentors Dave Fairlamb and Mark Fleming will have my upmost attention during the next phase of rehab!

On the fundraising side I'm very pleased to announce that, after a few weeks of searching, I've found a main kit sponsor. It goes without saying that all proceeds from this deal will be shared between St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation. 

Just like a few other commercial sponsors that I have, I had the option of putting the income towards the cost of the tour. As regular readers of this blog will know, that's not how we at Run Geordie Run do our fundraising. I'm paying for the cost of the USA tour out of my own pocket. IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT THAT ALL FUNDS RAISED GO TO THE 2 CHARITIES.

Expect more news and a formal announcement on kit sponsorship in the coming days. 

In other fundraising news, I'm working on getting a donation incentive scheme up and running. This is where a local company will add, say £5, to every £10 pledged by an individual. Again, there'll be more news on this when the deal is done.

I'm sure you'll agree that good progress is being made "off the field". I'm determined to make the most of this quiet period in my training schedule. Despite my lack of running, the effort behind the scenes will be as relentless as ever to make the 3100 mile run a success.