Monday 8 March 2010

A good start to week 70

This week I have been mostly running 1/2 marathons! It's week 70 of training for USA 2011. Today I ran my 2nd 1/2 marathon in 2 days. Today's route, a big loop 13.5 mile one around Gosforth, was done in 02:10:38. Yesterday's 13 mile effort was an extended Peter's Pies 6 Tyne Bridges Challenge took 02:17:50. I suffered a bit on this one due to a quick 11 mile run on Saturday which had 5 x 8 minute miles and a 7 minute mile in it. That's far too fast for me given what I'm trying to achieve this week. i.e. 7 x 13 mile runs. Will I ever learn!

One thing I have noticed since last week's back massage is that my posture has greatly improved and I've got a much better technique as a result. For me, better technique means better breathing and better breathing means better rhythm. This was evident on Saturday with those quick miles.

I've got another 5 half marathons to do between Tuesday and Saturday this week. The aim is to get each mile as close to 10 minutes as I possibly can. This will be the key to getting all 91 miles done this week. A repeat of Saturday's pace would be foolish!