Monday 22 February 2010

A pain in the back!

** Warning! This should not be read by any women. This contains details of a bloke who thinks he's got excruciating pain. What a wimp! **

I gave Beach Bootcamp everything I had last Saturday but unfortunately aggravated my back during one of the sprint drills. Somehow, I made it to the gym afterwards for a 3 x 3 mile session on the treadmill with a mile on the cross trainer in between. This is a kind of session I'd only just tried the night before for the first time. I'd forgotten my iPod and needed a different approach to avoid the boredom. 

The idea here is to get the 3 miles on the treadmill done as quick as possible then the same with the mile on the cross trainer. The next 3 miles on the treadmill must be done quicker than the last 3 and so on. On Friday night I managed a quicker 3 miles each time and left the session with a good calorie burn and more importantly a bit of confidence to take into the weekend. 

Saturday morning's 3 x 3 was a lot different to the previous session. I managed the first 3 miles at a 10 minute mile pace. I just couldn't go any quicker. As soon as I tried to increase the speed in the treadmill the pain in my back became unbearable. When I started the 2nd 3 mile session the pain became unbearable at 11 minute miles. Enough was enough and I decided to call it a day. "Listen to your body" and all that.

Unfortunately, the pain lasted all weekend and I had to duck out Sunday's 10.5 mile Peter's Pies 6 Tyne Bridges Challenge. The pain was at it's worst this morning (Monday) and by mid afternoon the pain had left my back and ventured into my hamstrings via my glutes. Nice!

As I write this blog post this evening, the pain is far more bearable and I hope to be running again by Thursday at the latest.