Thursday 1 January 2009

2008 - Year end thoughts (part 2)

One thing is for sure, although I will be running across the USA in 2011 on my own, it can't be done without the help of a few people who are worthy of mention. Two of the most important people associated with the run are David Fairlamb (below left) and Mark Fleming (right). You can read all about their importance to the project here. In a nutshell, though, these 2 guys' aim is to ensure that I'm in peak condition for the run, both physically and mentally. Good luck with that one lads!

All joking aside, though, I'm already starting to feel the benefit of having these 2 guys on board. Mark puts me through my paces on a weekly basis in the gym and keeps a critical eye on my body composition stats every month. He's always on my case about nutrition and diet and is the key reason why I've lost a stone in fat since September. Qualifying in 2008, Mark has just started out with his personal fitness career and has already got a growing list of clients. One thing I can honestly say, though, is that you'd think he'd been doing personal training for years. His enthusiasm and motivational nature is second to none and will be called upon numerous times during the next 2 1/2 years of training.

David Fairlamb takes Beach Bootcamp, of course, and the benefits, the challenge and the enjoyment I get from it is well documented here and here. I have met some great people at Bootcamp and they are always full of encouragement and keen to know how my training is going. David will be another key motivator and will take some part in overseeing my training over the next few years. David's years of experience and advice will be his major contribution to the project. Again, he will be called upon many times during the next 2 1/2 years.

Other folk very worthy of mention are the people I run with at Northern Rock; Carl, John, Carlton, Patrick, Jeff, Julie and Colin to name but a few. There are times, especially in the early days of pre-training, where this lot dragged me round and provided valuable company to keep me going. Hopefully, this will continue in 2009. 

Finally, it is the many sponsors and supporters who will ultimately put the icing on the USA 2011 cake. Without them, this whole project would not be worth doing. With them, however, we are likely to succeed and very likely to hit that fundraising target for 2 very worthwhile North East charities. Happy New Year!