Sunday 9 September 2007

Day 65 - A superb couple of weeks of training!

I've managed 6 runs in the last 2 weeks and each one of them has been a PB. In other words, I've put my new found weight loss and improved fitness to very good use.

Over the last 2 weeks, I've consistently broken long standing best times for 3 of my favourite courses. Tonight's 7 mile run from Shotley Bridge to Rowlands Gill was the most pleasing though. The quickest I've ever ran this course was in 2002 with a time of 01:01:07. I was absolutely flying tonight and beat that time with ease, putting in 00:58:12.

I really can't remember when I last ran 7 miles in less than 60 minutes. I also can't remember ever enjoying running this much. I've had times, in the past, where my confidence has been high. These last 2 weeks have seen my confidence reach levels they've never been at before. Well not since the mid 90's when I used to run 3 miles in 00:17:30. Admittedly, I'm not the best runner in the world. Six months ago weighing nearly 18 stone, I didn't even look like I could run 20 yards. However, as a result of running over 1500 miles this year I'm starting to look and feel like the runner I used to be 12 years ago.

I've now got a lot solid foundation to build on as I look to improve my fitness over the next few years. In lots of aspects, I'm about half way between where I was in January and where I need to be in 2011 if I'm to take on running across the USA. There is still a lot of hard work to do. As long as I keep on enjoying it, I've got every chance of achieving the next goal.